Non-compliance with environmental laws as reported in the National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports
Mondi operates mills at the following locations in South Africa:
- Paper mill, Durban
- Linerboard mill, Richards Bay
Department of Environmental Affairs’ compliance monitoring and enforcement action
|NECER||Significant Inspection Findings||Further Developments and Status of Enforcement Process|
|20091||In the 2009 report it was reported that an inspection had been conducted at this facility.||–|
|20102||In the 2010 report it was reported that the inspection undertaken in February 2009 identified the following non-compliances:
|The following was also reported in the 2010 report:
|20114||Representations had been received on 31 August 2009 and a follow-up inspection had been carried out on 8 March 2011. The following findings were made:
|20125||–||The following was reported in the 2012 report:
|20136||–||In the 2013 report it was reported that:
- National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports, 2008/2009, at p29.
- National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports, 2009/2010, at p26.
- Mondi’s response to Full Disclosure addressed this statement as follows: “Mondi received the request for additional information by facsimile on 2nd March 2010 in a letter dated 18 February 2010. Mondi responded on 14th April 2010 in a letter sent via registered mail. Mondi addressed the items raised by the EMIs in its response. It should be noted that the letter from the EMIs did not request a response within a given time frame. Following the publication of the annual NECER report n 2010 stating that Mondi’s response was outstanding, Mondi wrote to the Deputy-Director General: Environmental Quality and Protection, Department of Environmental Affairs (Ms Joanne Yawitch at the time) querying the statement in the report, that Mondi’s response was outstanding, when the response had been sent in April 2010. This letter was sent via courier and e-mail on 8 August 2010 (along with a copy of the previous response) and was copied to Ms Frances Craigie. Mondi received a response on 20 December 2010 from the Acting Deputy-Director General: Environmental Quality and Protection, Department of Environmental Affairs (Ms Nolwazi Cobbinah at the time). This letter indicated that Mondi’s response was not included in the reporting period for the annual NECER report since the reporting period ended 31 March 2010.”
- National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports, 2010/2011, at p52 – 53.
- National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports, 2011/2012, at p48.
- National Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Reports, 2012/2013, at p62.