Atlatsa Resources Corporation (Atlatsa) is a platinum group metals company engaged in the mining, exploration and development of PGM deposits located in the Bushveld Igneous Complex, South Africa.
Atlatsa has a primary listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange and a secondary listing on the JSE. In July 2015, Atlatsa voluntarily withdrew its shares from its listing on the New York Stock Exchange.1
Atlatsa holds a 51% interest in Bokoni Holdco. Bokoni Holdco holds a 100% interest in several PGM projects, including Bokoni Mine (which was placed on care and maintenance on October 1, 2017) and the Kwanda Project. Atlatsa also holds a direct interest in the Central Block properties and an indirect interest in the Kwanda and Rietfontein properties.2
On 21 July 2017, Atlatsa announced that it had entered into an agreement with Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) outlining key terms agreed in relation to a two-phased strategy for the Atlatsa Group. In terms of this agreement, Atlatsa will implement a care and maintenance strategy for Bokoni Mine (Phase 1 of the restructure), and a financial restructure plan for Atlatsa whereby Amplats will acquire Atlatsa’s Kwanda North and Central Block prospecting rights, and Amplats will write off various debts owing by Atlatsa to Amplats (Phase 2 of the restructure). Atlatsa and Amplats will retain their 51% and 49% respective shareholdings in the Bokoni Mine.3
- Ownership structure: Bokoni is a 51:49 JV between Atlatsa and Rustenburg Platinum Mines (subsidiary of Amplats).
- Location: 80km south-east of the town of Polokwane, in Limpopo.
- Type of mine: Open pit mine.
- Current status: According to Amplats’ 2017 Annual Report, current mining infrastructure, comprising two decline shafts and two concentrators, was placed on care and maintenance in October 2017. Older shafts were closed in 2015. The opencast operation was terminated in December 2016 and rehabilitation began in January 2017.
- Size: Mining right covers 147km2.
- Ownership structure: The Kwanda exploration project is a 51:49 JV between Atlatsa and Rustenburg Platinum Mines (subsidiary of Amplats).
- Location: 12 properties earmarked for exploration on the Northern Limb of the Bushveld Complex, in Limpopo.
- Current status: Exploration.
- Size: No publicly available information on the size of the prospecting rights.
- Anglo American Platinum Limited Integrated Report 2017, at page 76.